Monday, October 21, 2013

Government and Education

My thoughts have turned to this common core I've been hearing so much about. I have my thoughts on it , which I will share with you, however I would love to hear your opinions on the matter. My children go to Pathways Charter school which happens to be public so we are required to follow state standards. Common core, as I understand it, is a federal program to make our young people as smart as the rest of the world. Our country ranks 12th in the world on standard tests. I think it is a worthy goal to aquire knowledge. It is what propelled our nation to greatness.  Our grandparents worked to get their children to college or universities and the legacy continues with parents encouraging college attendance.  The work places have changed since their time and a lot of degrees don't provide for families the way they used to. Many people lose their jobs long before they should. Businesses tend to turn their employees over so they don't have to pay higher wages. Many years ago a father could work at one job for 50 years and take care of his family comfortably. Many things have changed since then. One sad downfall is the need for two incomes. Where does that leave the children? What happens to the importance of education? Do our children get left to themselves while we work to care for them?
   My father-in-law was a teacher many years ago and his biggest complaint was the lack of support from the parents. They didn't help their children succeed. Instead the children were required to help the family when they got home. Another problem he faced were the parents blaming him for the childs bad grades. Based on this we can see that reform needs to start at home, not from "the top". My other school teacher friend has talked to me about common core. She says it reminds her of the 50's style of teaching. She mentioned that she got into teaching because she could be creative and connect with the students and really learn how to teach them effectively. Common core has taken that opportunity away from her. Everything being taught has pretty much been scripted with little room for imagination. It seems like the government assumes that if we're taught the same that we'll turn out the same; cookie cutter scholars. I'm glad that I homeschool. I can have common core workbooks, but teach it the way I want. There are a lot of people fighting against this new system and I can understand their fear of it. I just hope this power hungry government won't try to affect our way of homeschooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment